Re: [ietf-smtp] Email explained from first principles

2021-05-24 06:27:43
On 2021-05-23 14:15:47 +0200, Kaspar Etter wrote:
2. List-Name header field: Mailing lists shouldn’t rewrite the messages of
others and break DKIM signatures in the process. Since my email address was
rewritten due to my domain policy, I didn’t receive some of the replies to my
original message because I didn’t subscribe to this mailing list immediately.
The List-Unsubscribe header field makes it unnecessary to include an
unsubscribe footer in forwarded messages.

Not really, because many MUAs don't support the List-Unsubscribe header.
So for the benefit of the users of those MUAs it still makes to include
such a footer.

A new List-Name header field would make it unnecessary to prefix the
Subject with the name of the list.

Same problem. Technically the prefix in the subject is already
unnecessary. We have List-Id header which the MUA could use to filter
messages, rewrite the subject, display an avatar or whatever. But most
don't, so mailing-list administrators fall back to rewriting the
subject. I doubt a new List-Name header field would change that.

        hp