Re: Using CONNEG instead of MIME types for compound types & references

1999-05-11 03:49:13

Larry Masinter wrote:
Let's solve the problems that caused us to start this mailing
list in the first place; those problems include the problems
of properly labelling XHTML with various kinds of embedded
tables, math, markup and use of features.

Well...

Our strategy in the HTML Working Group has been to avoid the issue of
compound documents as well.  Instead, we are defining a mechanism
whereby popular feature sets with DTDs can be combined into single DTDs
that are in the XHTML family.  Thus, as long as the document is
announced as XHTML, a conforming user agent will need to deal with it.

Part of this relates to XHTML Profiles. While this effort is still in
its infancy, my belief is that it is likely to include a method of
specifying the various feature sets that are required by a document
and/or supported by a user agent.  This is needed for content
negotiation.  If we can leverage the CONNEG work on this, so much the
better!

--
Shane P. McCarron                              phone: +1 612 434-4431
Testing Research Manager                         fax: +1 612 434-4318

OSF/1, Motif, UNIX and the "X" device are registered trademarks in
the US and other countries, and IT DialTone and The Open Group are
trademarks of The Open Group.