RE: Top-level media type xml desirable? (WAS: RE: Parameters for top-level XML media types?)

1999-05-07 12:27:05

From: Langer, Paul

We will destroy the portability of XML, if media types like
xml/my-application are allowed; as soon as something can be labeled as
e.g. xml/hugo the owner of application hugo will feel free to add
hugo-specific features to XML.

I find this statement a bit puzzling; the X in XML is from 'eXtensible'.
The _goal_ of XML is to be the 'mother tongue' from which new
application-specific languages evolve.

I think that this is really at the heart of the question of whether or not
xml/ is an appropriate media type, and think that it is not a particularly
useful one.  The interesting and useful attribute of an XML-derived language
is not that it is derived from XML; it's in whatever application domain it
serves.  The MIME registration of any application type that employs XML as
its expression/definition mechanism will say so - I don't see any particular
value in making that a part of the hierarchy of its name.  ASN.1 is used for
a great many different things (too many :-), but we don't expect them all to
interoperate or even to be interested in interoperating.

--
Scott Lawrence           Director of R & D
<lawrence(_at_)agranat(_dot_)com>