Re: xml-mime status?

1999-07-12 10:13:35
At 07:24 PM 7/12/99 +0900, MURATA Makoto wrote:
XPointer defines the meaning of the "selector" or "fragment identifier"
portion of URIs that locate resources of MIME media types "text/xml"
and "application/xml".

I have a question.  Why do we have to use media types here?  If an XML
document contains a link which takes advantage of XPointer, we just know
that the URI references to an XML document and thus do not have to be
notified by XML media types.

No.  Because of the following:
1. You can't tell what the media type of a resource is without getting it
2. Xpointers are not sufficiently distinguishable from all other types of
   fragment identfiers by syntax alone

So you have to ascertain the media type of the resource to determine
whether XPointer is the appropriate fragment identifier syntax. -Tim