Re: Media typs and XPointer, XLink, XPath, and XSLT

1999-07-12 23:33:35
 From: MURATA Makoto
<murata(_at_)apsdc(_dot_)ksp(_dot_)fujixerox(_dot_)co(_dot_)jp>

Having finished my summary, I have one question for clarification.  Did
the
XML Linking WG want to use XPointer only when the media type is text/xml
or
application/xml?  Or, did they want to use XPointer for other xml-based
media
types, but give up simply because the current media type mechanism cannot
specify "This is of the media type "model/foo" which is based on XML"?

I am confused about a related question: I have heard somewhere that the
XPointer
group was going to make XPointers only valid for pointing into XML
documents.
So, for example, it would not be legitimate for an XPointer to point into a
WebCGM
document or other structured data.  Is this true?

Also, there seems to be paradigm difference between the conventional idea
of a URL (which fetches some resource) and an XPointer (which points to some
span in some resource but doesn't necessarily return anything). I had a bit
of
difficulty with this at first, and I suspect that others with HTML
expectations will
be the same. Murata-san's question relates to this too:  does an XLink
always
return a resource. If XPointers can only be used with XLinks, does that mean
that
XPointers always return a resource too? If the resource returned is
different from
a type attribute, is it always an error?

Rick Jelliffe