Re: Soundbite: Proposed Suffix for XML-based media types

1999-07-20 09:50:48
At 06:54 AM 7/20/99 -0400, Keith Moore wrote:
I think it's a silly idea.  There's very little value in generic processing
of XML; there's even less value in having an extra level of delegation.

How can this assertion be anything but vacuous?  XML is a new thing in the
world and we're just learning how to deal with it.  At this moment, basically
*all* the tools available to deal with XML resources are totally generic.  I
do *not* extrapolate from this to assert that generic-XML processing is the
right way to go in general; that would be silly.  It is equally silly to
assert that generic processing has no value.  Since we manifestly, obviously,
inarguably, JUST DON'T KNOW right now, it seems to me that whatever we do with
media-types, we should be very very careful to avoid closing off
maybe-interesting paths.  -Tim