Re: Introduction of media types for XML DTDs

1999-07-20 21:38:58
Thank you very much, Ned. I have come to believe that we only need
application/xml-dtd.

Terry Allen wrote:
For the case when it is desired to display the DTD, Ned stated that
text/xml was the wrong way to go, and suggested that something else,
such as content-disposition, could be used to cue the user agent to
display as text.  Does any such method work today?

Yes, you can tell browsers to invoke Notepad.

John Cowan wrote:

On the contrary; it is a weakness of current browsers that there
is no way to tell them "Display such-and-such a media type as
text/plain in the main window."

At best, this is a criticizm on current browsers.  Moreover, even
current browsers make me happy, since I can tell them "Display
such-and-such a media type as with my faviroite text viewer
(which is not IE 5.0)"

Miles Sabin wrote:
 Most users won't ever do that,
but that seems fairly slender grounds for throwing away
at MIME level the knowledge that DTD text is text.

Browsers only have to invoke text editors when they encounter
application/xml-dtd.

Makoto

Fuji Xerox Information Systems

Tel: +81-44-812-7230   Fax: +81-44-812-7231
E-mail: murata(_at_)apsdc(_dot_)ksp(_dot_)fujixerox(_dot_)co(_dot_)jp