External parsed entities (Re: Inconsistency between IETF and W3C...)

1999-11-28 22:31:19
Chris Lilley wrote:
The text/xml MIME type isn't limited to well-formed documents, but
rather
to XML entities (c.f. 2nd para under 3. XML Media Types of
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-murata-xml-01.txt); so the
following:

        Four score and seven years ago

is a valid text/xml body, but an XML processor will burp cuz there's
no root element.

This is s agood point, which had escaped my notice before. Certainly, it
should be a requirement that text/xml (or the preferred application/xml,
which avoids silly crufty rules about charsets) is always a well formed
XML instance, and things thatare now well formed XML use a different
type.

In XML 1.0, an XML document can also become an external parsed entity.
For example, consider an XML document as below:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<test/>

This can be used as an external parsed entity from another
document as blow:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE doc [
<!ENTITY parsedentity SYSTEM "http://hoge";>
]>
<doc>&parsedentity;</doc>

In order to allow such an XML document, we have to use text/xml or
application/xml
for external parsed entities.

Dan Connolly wrote:
      Four score and seven years ago

is a valid text/xml body, but an XML processor will burp cuz there's
no root element.

Yes.  It must report a fatal error.  Even if we disallowed the use of text/xml
or application/xml for parsed entities, the world would not be free from
incorrect
documents and fatal errors.

Cheers,

Makoto

Fuji Xerox Information Systems

Tel: +81-44-812-7230   Fax: +81-44-812-7231
E-mail: murata(_dot_)makoto(_at_)fujixerox(_dot_)co(_dot_)jp