Re: External parsed entities (Re: Inconsistency between IETF and W3C...)

1999-11-29 18:29:36
Chris Lilley wrote:

MURATA Makoto wrote:

In order to allow such an XML document, we have to use text/xml or
application/xml
for external parsed entities.

No, that doesn't follow. You are driving a non-commutative relationship
backwards. Just because a well formed XML document can be used as an
external parsed entity (and can be labelled as text/xml or
application/xml), it does not follow that a non-well-formed thing can
also be so labelled. It should be labelled something else, like
application/xml-epe or whatever.

True.  The fact that some XML documents are also external parsed entities
only implies that we cannot always use application/xml-epe for external
parsed entities.

We have two choices.  One is to use text/xml or application/xml even for
external parsed entities.  The other is to use application/xml-epe
only for those external parsed entities which are not XML documents.  I think
that the latter is a complicated rule.  However, since few external parsed
entities are also XML documents, one could argue that the latter is more
realistic.

However, I have assumed that this issue is not very important since
we should anyway avoid external parsed entities at all in the Internet.
If external parsed entities are used, different parses emit different
results.  (See "5. Conformance" of the XML recommendation
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml#sec-conformance)

For maximum reliability in interoperating between different XML processors,
applications which use non-validating processors should not rely on any
behaviors not required of such processors.

Makoto

Fuji Xerox Information Systems

Tel: +81-44-812-7230   Fax: +81-44-812-7231
E-mail: murata(_dot_)makoto(_at_)fujixerox(_dot_)co(_dot_)jp