Re: MIME types and content negotiation

2000-03-17 10:54:57

"Simon St.Laurent" wrote:

At 06:21 PM 3/17/00 +0100, Chris Lilley wrote:
To me, it seems like there should be a way for a client to say "You can
send me your XML, and I'll give it my best shot", rather than "these are
the only twenty types I know of".

Accept: */*-xml;q=0.7, application/xml;q=0.5, text/xml;q=0.001

That sounds very good to me - it seems like another place where the suffix
is useful.

However, it isn't clear from HTTP 1.1 that */*-xml is acceptable in this
use case - the BNF for media range looks like it accepts */* and type/*,
where * can only be used for an entire subtype name.

Ah, you are right. So either this can't be done, or HTTP/1.1 wo\ould need a
revision as a result of the -xml convention (and perhaps other faceted
types, and parameters.)

For example it also means that I can't say

Accept: image/cgm;Version=4;ProfileId="webcgm";q=0.8,
image/cgm;Version=1;ProfileId=*;q=0.3

That's why I'm not so positive that this intriguing possibility actually
helps my argument, at least pending a revision of HTTP 1.1.
On the other hand, I don't think it hurts it.

What do other folks think about being able to say "all the stuff with -xml"

--
Chris