RE: Fwd: Last Call: XML Media Types to Proposed Standard

2000-09-07 08:57:29
In the IETF-XML-MIME ML, Larry Masinter made proposed to slightly
revise the latest draft (draft-murata-xml-07.txt).  Dave Peterson
agreed.

   For backward compatibility, application/xml and text/xml MAY,
   but SHOULD NOT, also be used for "external parsed entities",
   "external DTD subsets", and "external parameter entities".

I don't think "MAY but SHOULD NOT" is a valid state in RFC 2119
terminology, or called for. How about:

  application/xml and text/xml MUST NOT be used for "external parsed
  entities", "external DTD subsets", and "external parameter entities".
  Note that RFC 2376 (obsoleted) allowed this usage, although
  in practice it is likely to be rare.

I spoke with my co-authors: Dan Kohn and Simon St. Laurent.  We
have agreed to accept the proposed change.

Sounds fine to me. Please submit an updated version of the draft.
Unfortunately, given that this is a change to requirements language I think
we'll have to restart the last call, so the sooner the better on this.

                                Ned