Re:

2000-09-29 15:35:13

Lloyd Rutledge wrote:
The reason that the SMIL 2.0 spec does not require that
browsers process XPointer is that browsers don't and can't process
XPointer -- servers do.  Please correct me if my understanding of the
general architecture is too primitive,

OK. Your understanding is not correct. Servers do not process the fragment
identifiers, because therse are not sent to the server (queries, following
a ? character, *are* sent to the server and perhaps that is what you are
thinking of?)

but servers process XPointer,
not clients -- right?.

No.

Clients send URI's to the given server,

yes. The fragment is not part of the URI and is not sent

 the
server processes it and returns the located data to the client.

Yes, and then the client locates the relevant part of this resource using
the fragment identifier.

--
Chris