Re: text/xhtml+xml vs. application/xhtml+xml

2000-10-31 11:32:48
Gavin Thomas Nicol wrote:

In effect, application/xml is a proxy for x-whatever1/whatever2+xml,
which by the rules for "x-" (don't interpret it unless you know
what you are doing) can't be treated as XML by ignorant processors.

Right, hence my preference for text/xml and application/foo+xml.

My point was that if whatever1/whatever2+xml has not yet been registered
by IANA, or should not be registered for whatever reason (only used in
private interchange, e.g.), then "application/xml" serves as a proxy
for it.  Therefore, the existence of "application/xml" has its uses.

--
There is / one art                   || John Cowan
<jcowan(_at_)reutershealth(_dot_)com>