RE: text/xhtml+xml vs. application/xhtml+xml

2000-11-01 11:14:00
At 12:59 PM 11/1/00 -0500, Gavin Thomas Nicol wrote:
Given

 1) choices for types
       text/xml
       application/xml
       application/foo+xml
 2) clear guidelines on their use.

do *you* have faith that developers
will do what is right?

I do, actually.

I've spent a fair amount of time dealing with developers who got so used to
text/html that they figured text/xml was the way to go.

It doesn't take much explaining to get them to shift to application/xml for
light use and application/xyz+xml for cases where they want to identify
their types further.

So far, that explaining's been on a one-on-one basis through email and
conference encounters, but the explaining hasn't been the hard part.  The
hard part is just getting people to think about it in the first place.

When we have an RFC to point to, I'm planning on posting more general
discussion of these issues to xml-dev, xml-l, and comp.text.xml.

Simon St.Laurent
XHTML: Migrating Toward XML