Re: Request for comments for Media Type registration ofapplication/ccxml+xml

2004-07-31 10:50:48

Copy of
http://www.w3.org/mid/p06110400bd2d389cc364(_at_)%5B10(_dot_)0(_dot_)1(_dot_)2%5D
resent for administrative reasons.   See archive copy above for other
recipients.  - Al

At 3:03 PM +0900 7/28/04, Martin Duerst wrote:
At 13:05 04/07/27 -0700, RJ Auburn wrote:

On 07/21/2004 22:03, "Larry Masinter" <LMM(_at_)acm(_dot_)org> wrote:

 These comments are as much about the general "IETF MIME type
 registration from W3C recommendation" as they are about this
 particular registration:

Martin: Would you be the person to handle/address the general issues?

Yes. For everybody's information, RJ is following the procedure laid
out at http://www.w3.org/2002/06/registering-mediatype.html#Planned.
Because he is the first to do so, this is a very good case to see
where we have to tweak that description. I have already made two
additions:
1) Added a sentence "Make sure that this part of the specification
   is readable on its own, without the context of the specification."
   [for further details, a good example is probably better than a
    lot of explanations]
2) Added a sentence "To make it easier for your WG to track comments
   on the Media Type section, you may cross-post the comments list
   for your specification."
   [I want to leave this to the group for the moment. They have to
    show that they addressed comments to the IESG, so having that
    documented in a last call table may have advantages and
    disadvantages.]

Also, I'm planning to add some pointers to examples to the above
description, once we have them. That should make it easier for
others to do this.

 > Your translation from HTML to ASCII left out line breaks
 before heading lines, which made your template hard
 to read.

If needed I can resubmit a nicer looking version. Let me know...

I guess that can wait for the next time you send something anyway,
but I hope this will be soon.

 >> Published specification:

 This media type registration is for CCXML documents as
 described by this specification.

 I'm not 100% sure if this is necessary, but I'd expect
 if the template were to appear elsewhere to see
 a bibliographic citation, e.g.,

 "Voice Browser Call Control: CCXML Version 1.0", W3C
 Working Draft, 30 April 2004, W3C, <http://www.w3.org/TR/ccxml/>

 Is "this specification" (or the whole specification) precise
 enough?  In some other cases, a single W3C recommendation defines
 many different data types. Perhaps it would be useful to
 say, somewhere, e.g., that the MIME type refers to XML bodies that
 conform to the DTD/Schema referenced in Appendix B and C and
 interpreted by the rules in the cited specification.

Pointing at the schema/dtd sections seems reasonable.  How is this for text:

Published specification:
    This media type registration is for XML bodies that
    conform to the DTD/Schema referenced in Appendix B and C and
    interpreted by the rules this specification

'this specification' -> 'of this specification'

 >> Person & email address to contact for further information:

 RJ Auburn, <rj(_at_)voxeo(_dot_)com>.

 Should there be a W3C contact as well?

Dave/Max/Martin: Thoughts?

Adding the name of a staff contact or so might be a good idea.

 >> Intended usage:

 COMMON
 Author/Change controller:

 The CCXML specification is a work product of the World Wide Web
 Consortium's
 Voice Browser Working Group. The W3C has change control over these
 specifications.

 Or perhaps the W3C contact address should be listed here.

Dave/Max/Martin: Thoughts?

The W3C is 'on the Web', not at a particular physical location.
This kind of wording has been used in some previous registrations,
and should be okay.

Actually, Martin, the W3C should come up with something better.  This is
a detail of the "life after Rec[ommendation status is achieved]" that I am
not aware we have laid out adequately.

There is a slight problem because the W3C has studiously avoided being
a legal entity which could be identified in standard X.500 terms.

But if we take the specification

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-wai-pf/2004JulSep/0075.html

The document identifies a contact address of

mailto:www-dom(_at_)w3(_dot_)org

This is standard practice, viz:

<quote cite=
"http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Contact";>
Do you have a technical comment?
W3C technical reports include email addresses where readers should send technical comments.
</quote>

The Consortium has also assiduously avoided promising to answer questions about its utterances, other than that one may post 'comments' in the above manner. Clearly a 'comment' alleging that there is an inconsistency in the provisions of a specification, if read and found to be accurate, may result in something being added to the errata for a document.

I would suggest that the 'comments to' email address be included in the contact information
provided in a MIME type registration request.

As far as identifying The Consortium it should suffice to use the URI http://www.w3.org/ as
identification in this context.

It would be helpful, but probably not required by the IETF pro-formas, to also allude to the process for change control by a reference to the W3C Process Document identified as:

http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Process/

Al

Regards,    Martin.