Re: MPEG asks for MIME review for the MPEG21 file format

2007-05-20 16:05:11

On Friday, May 18, 2007, 7:54:32 AM, Anne wrote:

AvK> On Fri, 18 May 2007 03:12:09 +0200, Chris Lilley <chris(_at_)w3(_dot_)org>
wrote:
The successor to RFC 3023 needs to indicate that binary XML which is
presented as a new encoding (in the xml sense) can use +xml, while other
binary forms cannot.

AvK> You wouldn't be able to still parse the retrieved resource in that case
AvK> with a generic XML parser. Wasn't that the whole idea of +xml?

Swapping your sentences around: yes, the whole idea of +xml is that you know
you can use a generic XML parser.

Something that might or might not be xml, therefore should not use +xml.

An XML parser must understand UTF-8 and UTF-16 and may understand other
encodings. I gather that the Efficient XML folks will declare a new encoding,
and parsers which don't know it will not parse it. Same is if I said the
encoding was

encoding="i-bet-you-never-heard-of-this-one"

--
 Chris Lilley                    mailto:chris(_at_)w3(_dot_)org
 Interaction Domain Leader