Re: MPEG asks for MIME review for the MPEG21 file format

2007-05-21 01:51:42

On Sun, 20 May 2007 02:24:11 +0200, Chris Lilley <chris(_at_)w3(_dot_)org>
wrote:
Swapping your sentences around: yes, the whole idea of +xml is that you know you can use a generic XML parser.

Something that might or might not be xml, therefore should not use +xml.

An XML parser must understand UTF-8 and UTF-16 and may understand other encodings. I gather that the Efficient XML folks will declare a new encoding, and parsers which don't know it will not parse it. Same is if I said the encoding was

encoding="i-bet-you-never-heard-of-this-one"

"Efficient XML" seems to be more on the content encoding level than the character encoding level to me. (Assuming you meant charset="blah" as opposed to encoding="blah" above given your examples of UTF-8 and UTF-16...)

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>