Re: Registration of media typeimage/svg+xml

2010-06-18 06:02:49

On Thursday, June 17, 2010, 9:09:32 PM, Paul wrote:

PL> Dear Chris,

PL> Could I suggest to add in this registration clipboard format names as
PL> part of the additional information so that applications use them
PL> consistently?

Happy do do so - could you point to documentation on this so I can read up?

Do they require separate registration with some other authority, or is it
sufficient to note them here?

PL> I would suggest the following for uncompressed svg as a first
PL> approximation, but maybe there are existing attempts already?

PL> - Windows: "SVG Image"
PL> - MacOSX Uniform Type Identifier: org.w3c.svg conforms to public.image
PL> and to public.xml

PL> I am doubting that the 4-letter codes are still in use but I may be
PL> wrong.

Yes, the old MacOS 4-letter codes are mainly historical at this point, but
Apple did allocate them for us (back in 1998) and RFC 4288 (from Dec 2005)
seems to ask for them if they exist, so they were included.

PL> paul

  Additional information:

       Magic number(s):

       File extension(s):
               svg, svgz (if gzip-compressed)

       Macintosh file type code(s):
               "svg " (all lowercase, with a space character as the
               fourth letter), "svgz" (all lowercase, if
               gzip-compressed).

--
 Chris Lilley                    mailto:chris(_at_)w3(_dot_)org
 Technical Director, Interaction Domain