Re: [ietf-types] Registration of media typeimage/svg+xml

2010-11-30 02:21:42

OK, is there anything left to do? Or is this already on the way to IANA?

Let's get this finished...

On 25.11.2010 21:01, Ned Freed wrote:
Looks good to me as well.

Ned

This looks good to me. I hope this can move forward to the next step
(IESG approval?) soon, so that image/svg+xml can finally be properly
registered.

Regards, Martin.

On 2010/11/25 7:36, Chris Lilley wrote:

> This is an updated registration request, incorporating the latest
> round of feedback.
>

> Type name:
>
> image
>
> Subtype name:
>
> svg+xml
>
> Required parameters:
>
> None.
>
> Optional parameters:
>
> charset
>
> Same as application/xml media type, as specified in [RFC3023] or
> its successors.
>
> Encoding considerations:
>
> Same as for application/xml. See [RFC3023], section 3.2 or its
> successors.
>
> Security considerations:
>
> As with other XML types and as noted in [RFC3023] section 10,
> repeated expansion of maliciously constructed XML entities can be
> used to consume large amounts of memory, which may cause XML
> processors in constrained environments to fail.
>
> Several SVG elements may cause arbitrary URIs to be referenced. In
> this case, the security issues of [RFC3986], section 7, should be
> considered.
>
> In common with HTML, SVG documents may reference external media
> such as images, audio, video, style sheets, and scripting
> languages. Scripting languages are executable content. In this
> case, the security considerations in the Media Type registrations
> for those formats shall apply.
>
> In addition, because of the extensibility features for SVG and of
> XML in general, it is possible that "image/svg+xml" may describe
> content that has security implications beyond those described
> here. However, if the processor follows only the normative
> semantics of the published specification, this content will be
> outside the SVG namespace and shall be ignored. Only in the case
> where the processor recognizes and processes the additional
> content, or where further processing of that content is dispatched
> to other processors, would security issues potentially arise. And
> in that case, they would fall outside the domain of this
> registration document.
>
> Interoperability considerations:
>
> The published specification describes processing semantics that
> dictate behavior that must be followed when dealing with, among
> other things, unrecognized elements and attributes, both in the
> SVG namespace and in other namespaces.
>
> Because SVG is extensible, conformant "image/svg+xml" processors
> must expect that content received is well-formed XML, but it
> cannot be guaranteed that the content is valid to a particular DTD
> or Schema or that the processor will recognize all of the elements
> and attributes in the document.
>
> SVG has a published Test Suite and associated implementation
> report showing which implementations passed which tests at the
> time of the report. This information is periodically updated as
> new tests are added or as implementations improve.
>
> Published specification:

> [...]

#-# http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp
mailto:duerst(_at_)it(_dot_)aoyama(_dot_)ac(_dot_)jp