Re: Last Call: Registry Registrar Protocol (RRP) Version 1.1.0 to Informational

2000-01-04 15:10:02

[resent from subscribed address, my apologies
if the TO list receives it twice]

Patrik Fältström wrote:

--On 2000-01-04 17.21 +0000, Ian Jackson
<ijackson(_at_)chiark(_dot_)greenend(_dot_)org(_dot_)uk>
wrote:

* The TRANSFER command, when used to approve a transfer, does not
specify to which registrar the domain is to be transferred.

If I remember correctly from a presentation NSI have had for me, the
transfer is always to the registrar issuing the command, but I might be
wrong.

Regardless, thanks for the comments. They are taken into consideration.

   paf

Patrik:

"If I remember correctly from a presentation NSI have had for me" is
a good name for the RAB [1] meetings we attended I presume, in the
euphemisms that these discussions have turned into.

However, IMO it would be unfitting to the IETF to proceed discussions
on NSI's proposed RFC without NSI disclosing and making public all
the RAB meeting minutes, as "supporting" documentation.

Further, reading NSI's RFC and Karl's comments here, I am grateful that
neither the RAB  nor its members were mentioned in the RFC, nor a
cknowledged, even though the RFC is on the very same Shared
Registry Protocol we were called to help verify and provide free but
otherwise professional advice.

You will recognize in Karl's comments a rerun of some of my
own comments and also of Stef's and Steve's, I am sure, just
to cite a few. Race conditions, log traces, actions on log
traces, reliable timestamps, the need for well-defined states
with well-defined variables, slamming precautions, transfer
problems, correct internationalization, UTC time, message
text limit, etc. were also all mentioned and advised about
more than once; and they are in the RAB Minutes.  They
need to be made public since NSI is requesting public
comments.  They are also part of the mandates of Amendment
11, which I wish to interpret technically -- no politically by
euphemisms of  a "presentation NSI have had for me".

Cheers,

Ed Gerck

[1] http://www.nsiregistry.com/history/rab.html :

 Mission Statement The Network Solutions Registry Advisory Board (RAB) was
formed to provide Network
   Solutions with independent external advisory review of the design and
testing of the NSI Shared Registration
   System. Members of the RAB were selected to provide a balance of diverse
technology and regional
   perspectives. The Board existed through 30 September 1999 to review,
participate, and advise in testing of
   the technology aspects of the Shared Registration System, and to suggest
improvements to Network Solutions
   to better meet the mandates of Amendment 11.

   Members

          External Members
          David Conrad
          Patrik Fältström