Re: Back to the drawing board,was Re: Last Call: Registry Registrar Protocol (RRP) Version 1.1.0 toInformational

2000-01-05 08:40:02
--On Wednesday, 05 January, 2000 06:32 -0800 Ed Gerck <egerck(_at_)nma(_dot_)com> wrote:

Yes, but IMO IETF RFCs, even informational, should not be
bureaucratic milestones in a chart but real contributions --
where it is OK to be wrong since in Science a NO is also an
answer. So, an RFC should not be fictional or clearly wrong.

Ed,

Assuming for purposes of argument that I agree with this distinction, the hypothetical chart and its milestones are a strawman. I'm not especially attracted to the reasons some people participate in the IETF, but I think we need to judge the quality of the output almost independent of our guesses about the psychology of its sources. Moreover, there has always been a distinction between Informational RFCs --which are expected to be an explanation or statement about something-- versus Experimental ones. The latter should be subject to the scientific criteria you suggest. Indeed, I've often felt that we would be better off if the authors of Experimental RFCs assumed an obligation to come back after a reasonable amount of time and write a new RFC explaining how the experiment came out and proposing the next experiment if appropriate.

If something is an opinion about how something should be done, one might disagree with it and it might even be wrong technically, but that doesn't make it an invalid statement about that opinion. And, if someone asserts that something they want to publish describes a partcular process, then I believe that we should publish that assertion along with the description. But going further than that takes us dangerously close to certifying that the document and the implementation match, and that just isn't a good idea.

And this has nothing to do with "freedom of press" but with
old accepted rules of technical publication in whatever forum.

When I review things for a journal, I review them differently, and apply different criteria, depending on whether they represent opinion pieces or description on the one hand or, e.g., experimental results.

Let me try a strawman out on you: Suppose I came to the RFC Editor with a document entitled "a review of operational experience with the foobar protocol" that I wanted published as informational. It would be entirely rational for the RFC Editor (or the IESG) to issue a Last Call whose key question was "does this description agree with the experience of others". Now, for many scientific publications, if the answer came back "no", the paper would go back to the authors, with a note that said "talk with these other folks and revise". The tradition in the RFC series (and with some journals) has been that such things are suggested but, when the fail, the document is published, sometimes with an "opinions differ" disclaimer and the commenters are encouraged to write their own critiques. Either approach is scientifically reasonable and can be quite effective and illuminating; the second is arguably better at spreading knowledge of negative results.

But this document is, I believe, an NSI statement of what they think the protocol is, or would like the protocol to be, or want people to think the protocol is (again, I think that needs to be clear). To the extent that it is an accurate statement of their views in one of those categories, it can't be "fictional" or "clearly wrong". To the extent that they claim it reflects the protocol and you believe it doesn't, your best recourse is to drop NSI a note that says, more or less, "if you publish that as if it were the protocol, I'll round up a bunch of registrars and sue you... partially on the theory that the Judge can lift the NDA that prevents our making the problems public". But that isn't an IETF problem, and we put the IETF at risk by tryng to make it one.

    john