RE: Internet SYN Flooding, spoofing attacks

2000-02-16 09:10:02
Eliot,

Some of the DoS attacks we saw last week were good, old-fashioned SYN floods. Hosts do have a responsibility here, more than ISPs, since it is quite feasible to tie up a host's pool of TCBs with a small number of packets, even if the attack tool does not use spoofed sourced addresses (or if the spoofed addresses are from a legitimate pool allocated to a subscriber site).

The point I have tried to make, unsuccessfully, is not that performing ingress filtering is bad, and thus should not be performed. Rather, I am pointing out that it is a bad idea to rely on such filtering as a primary means of defense. There are several reasons for saying this:
        - not all ISPs will find it feasible to provide such filtering
        - not all ISPs are trusted to do the filtering (in the global Internet)
- a number of DDoS attacks can be launched without using spoofed addresses outside of those "appropriate" to the subscriber site - some applications may legitimately make use of non-local addresses, as others have suggested

I have seen a long history of suggested solutions to security problems which are only partially effective against current forms of attacks, vs. providing protection against a larger class of attacks. I'm trying to suggest that we not follow this pattern.

Finally, there is a diminishing difference between what a script kiddie can do, vs. a clever attacker, because the clever attackers are freely distributing higher quality attack tools. "Empowerment" is a hallmark of modern Internet attacks :-).

Steve