Re: Device upload for all platforms -- the official HTML WG position

2000-03-02 06:50:02
From: "James P. Salsman" <bovik(_at_)best(_dot_)com>
Device upload -- of any kind -- has not yet been implemented in Opera.

Which is not actually the fault of the HTML WG.

You know that the CTO of Opera software has said they will wait for a
W3C Recommendation (or Working Draft) on device upload.

I checked with him at the time that you made this claim. He actually said
that they wouldn't implement your proposal unless it was a W3C
recommendation.

Opera, even
on Windows, will not interpret MSIE OBJECT or Netscape EMBED tags which
are used for microphone upload on those browsers under Windows.  There
is simply no browser on Mac or Linux (other than my experimental
build of pre-gecko Mozilla) which is capable of even microphone upload.

Which is not to say that it can't be done.

I am sure we both want to resolve this.  Would you please list all
the flaws of which you are aware -- with as little or as much detail
as you have time for -- along with, when available, how they could
be fixed?  I promise you I will devote my efforts to your comments
until you are satisfied that they are resolved, but I do need your
help to understand which issues you consider flaws.

I will do it on two conditions that you have to promise to:

    That I never, ever, have to repeat it again.
    That you stop hassling the HTML WG and spreading mistruths.

I will then spend the time to reanalyse your document.

Best wishes,

Steven Pemberton
Chair, W3C HTML WG