Privacy and IETF Document Access

2000-03-28 07:50:02
I recently noticed that ftp.ietf.org requires the use of an e-mail
address (well, ok, something that looks like an e-mail address) as
a password for anonymous login.  (see sample below)

I suggest that:

o       The IETF, consistent with its traditional concern about
        network privacy, disable this feature and allow anonymous
        access to documents without requiring an e-mail-like password,

o       Explain why e-mail addresses are being collected from anonymous
        ftp users, and

o       Explain who has had access to the list of e-mail addresses.

-tjs

[Geez.  This is the organization that (appropriately) declined to
standardize wiretapping solutions, but collects information about everyone
who accesses its documents???]

% ftp ftp.ietf.org
Connected to www2.ietf.org.
220 www2 NcFTPd Server (licensed copy) ready.
Name (ftp.ietf.org:salo): anonymous
331 Guest login ok, send your complete e-mail address as password.
Password:
530-You must supply a valid email address as your password.
530-For example, "mike(_at_)nirvana(_dot_)ncemrsoft(_dot_)com" is okay.
530 Login failed.
ftp: Login failed.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> ls
550 Login first, then I might let you do that.
421 Disconnecting you since you didn't login successfully within 15 seconds.
ftp>