Re: Privacy and IETF Document Access

2000-03-29 00:00:03
At 07:31 AM 3/28/00, amlan(_at_)geektown(_dot_)net wrote:
I do not think this is really a concern because the system will
accept "dumbo(_at_)fool(_dot_)com" as a valid password email as well.

A quick reminder here: Should you ever want to use a 'bogus' or or 'example' domain name, please use the domain name "example.com", which the IANA has specifically reserved for this purpose. (Note, BTW, that the domain name "fool.com" that you used as an example is actually a real domain name used by someone else - "Motley Fool" in this case.)

This is something that I'm particularly sensitive to, because - for some reason - lots of people like to use my domain name ("live.com") when fabricating bogus email addresses - and as a result shitloads of spam ends up coming my way.

        Ross.

ps. I've found that most FTP servers will accept the string "guest@" in addition to a fully-formed email address.