Re: A thought about patents

2000-04-05 16:10:02
Dave Miller wrote:

- I wonder how much of government we can get rid of if we keep chipping away
at it?

I see this a lot in discussions of government reform: Imagine your
reform happens, and bureaucratic rot sets in.  After a hundred years
or so, you will have something very similar to the present system you
are complaining about.

After publishing your idea somewhere, for public critique, you have
a year to file your patent application.  After that it becomes a
public prior art.

Am I wrong?

Getting a patent costs money -- maybe not enough to hire good patent
clerks,
but enough to keep today's garage tinkerers from doing it -- with some
obvious exceptions

                            David Nicol 816.235.1187 nicold(_at_)umkc(_dot_)edu