Re: A thought about patents

2000-04-06 09:30:03
Masataka Ohta wrote:

We can have servers outside of US and there is no legislation (even
under US laws. note that the servers can serve yet another countries)
to make the servers illegal.

Mmm...that sounds like a grey area.  A company using patented tech to do
business in the US may be subject to US law even if the tech is not resident
in the US (under the same sort of theory used against Internet gambling).
Even if it's not true in the general case, a sufficiently expensive lawyer
might be able to convince the court that, since the Internet makes location
irrelevant, the location of the infringement is irrelevant.

--
|John Stracke    | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions are my own.|