Need Clue: What for are I-Ds?

2000-04-10 04:00:02

Hello:

For a while I have put an IETF-Announce archive that can be
accessed through http://ittf.vlsm.org/announce.html

This archive is split into several categories. For example:
I-D Action      http://www.eGroups.com/messages/ietf-i-d_action/
Last Call       http://www.eGroups.com/messages/ietf-last_call/
Protocol Action http://www.eGroups.com/messages/ietf-protocol_action/
Document Action http://www.eGroups.com/messages/ietf-document_action/

However, I am still confused about what to do with an I-D since
section 2.2 of BCP-9/1996 (the Internet Standard Process 3.00)
and section 8 of BCP-25/1998 (IETF Working Group Guidelines
and Procedures) do not say much about this issue.

1. Where to post a comment?

Should I send it to an author, all authors, the IETF list,
the IESG, the RFC-Editor, or what? Or should I wait until
a last call?

2. What for is a Last Call ?

I believe that section 8 of BCP-25 is widely accepted by
the community:
   "It is important to note that a Last-Call is intended
   as a brief, final check with the Internet community,
   to make sure that no important concerns have been
   missed or misunderstood. The Last-Call should
   not serve as a more general, in-depth review".
Therefore, what will be the point to review an I-D
at the Last Call stage?

3. What is the point to argue in the IETF list?

Section 3 of BCP-25 hinted that someone (the chair) should
periodically post a summary, and another one (the document
writer) should write down something. Since no one
(publicly) summarized the IETF list and I-D drafts are
seldomly written based on the discussion; what is the
point to participate in a > 100 email burst discussion?

4. How to recognize the intention of the I-D author(s)?

An I-D has not always sufficent clues of the author(s)
intention. How to know that an I-D is on Standard Track?
(PS. AFAIK, individuals can submit I-Ds for an
Standard Track).

thanks,

--
- Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim --  VLSM-TJT --  http://rms46.vlsm.org/ -