Re: IPv6: Past mistakes repeated?

2000-04-25 10:30:02

Daniel Senie wrote:

Ian King wrote:

From the reports I read, this was implemented by mapping phone numbers
to some other tag (which the user doesn't see) which is used to get the
calls to the proper carrier and ultimately to the proper user.

Sounds a whole lot like using DNS to map names to IP addresses. Of
course we expose users to IP addresses WAY too often, and overuse them
in applications as well, for this analogy to be really workable for the
Internet.

It might also sound like another level of indirection would be useful.

DNS -> IP is sometimes difficult to manage because both can change. It
would be useful to have an ID that had nothing to do with either,
allowing renumbering and renaming without losing that pointer.

E.g. DNS <-> ID <-> IP

Joe