RE: runumbering (was: Re: IPv6: Past mistakes repeated?)

2000-04-25 18:50:02

Turn it any way you want, TCP sessions can only survive renumbering through
end to end mechanisms...

Which raises the interesting (to me anyway) question: Is there value in
considering a new protocol, layered on top of TCP, but beneath new
applications, that provides an "association" the life of which transcends
the TCP transports upon which it is constructed?

I believe that if we had such a protocol that it would be a useful tool to
solve many of the juggling acts that transpire under the heading of
"mobile networking" as well as providing a way to continue (or
"resume") connectivity after IP address changes.

(I will, of course, be suitably embarrassed if someone points out that
work is already going on to do this.)

                --karl--