RE: runumbering (was: Re: IPv6: Past mistakes repeated?)

2000-04-26 13:50:02
Turn it any way you want, TCP sessions can only survive renumbering through
end to end mechanisms...

Which raises the interesting (to me anyway) question: Is there value in
considering a new protocol, layered on top of TCP, but beneath new
applications, that provides an "association" the life of which transcends
the TCP transports upon which it is constructed?

I believe that if we had such a protocol that it would be a useful tool to
solve many of the juggling acts that transpire under the heading of
"mobile networking" as well as providing a way to continue (or
"resume") connectivity after IP address changes.

(I will, of course, be suitably embarrassed if someone points out that
work is already going on to do this.)

  draft-xie-stewart-sigtran-ddp-00.txt

                                ned