Re: runumbering (was: Re: IPv6: Past mistakes repeated?)

2000-04-26 19:50:02
draft-xie-stewart-sigtran-ddp-00 addresses redundancy and failover of
sessions within a server pool, where uncoordinated failover of sessions from
one endpoint to another is a requirement.  There is signifcant overheard and
indirection added to the session to achieve this.

We seem to be discussing a simpler requirement: coordinated movement of a
session from one ip:port pair on a single endpoint to a different ip:port
pair on the same endpoint.  Windows, buffer states, sequence numbers, etc.
could all remain the same.

The stated requirement was "an association that will outlast the TCP
connections it is based on". I saw (and see) nothing that limited this to
coordinated moves set up in advance.

You're right that it's a simpler problem, but the general problem is what's
on the table IMO.

And if ISO session layer is seen as comparable, we're *definitely* in the more
general problem space. (Although whether or not ISO session layer actually
solved such problems is another matter -- it sorta did on paper if you read the
specifications optimistically, but it never solved any of these problems in
practice. And I have the misfortunate of having had to deal with ISO session
layer stuff a *lot*.)

                                Ned