Re: draft-ietf-nat-protocol-complications-02.txt

2000-04-26 14:20:02
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 14:31:23 -0400
From: "J. Noel Chiappa" <jnc(_at_)ginger(_dot_)lcs(_dot_)mit(_dot_)edu>
To: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: draft-ietf-nat-protocol-complications-02.txt

Noel is happy to wait, and see who's right. (I've been through this exact
same experience before, with CLNP, so I understand the life-cycle.) So far,
I've been waiting for quite a few years with IPv6, and so far I'm right.
      [...]

Perhaps, we can start a pool to guess the date of the first IPv6-only
IETF meeting (laptop connections, wireless network, desktops all running
only IPv6).

Or, perhaps a true believer would like to propose that the network at
an upcoming IETF meeting support _only_ IPv6.  Perhaps the IPv6 working
group could staff a help desk.  I would make this proposal myself, but I
am concerned that I might be accused of trying to create a media spectacle
that would set back (?) IPv6 adoption by several years.

(If there is an IPv6-only  IETF meeting soon, I hope I can get one of
those IETF phone cards from Phil Gross -- I might want to go to me room
and get some work done.)

((Actually, I think an IPv6-only IETF meeting would be sort of neat.
I would at least try to get IPv6 working on my laptop.))

(((If we think an IPv6-only IETF meeting in impractical at this time, we
should consider not asking anyone else to migrate their network to IPv6
until it is mature enough to support an IETF meeting.)))

-tjs