Re: Should IETF do more to fight computer crime?

2000-05-23 15:50:03
Steven M. Bellovin writes:

Right.  On the other hand, the AP reports that a French-government
sponsored bill would bar anonymous posting to the net.  For details,
see
http://www.techserver.com/noframes/story/0,2294,500207446-500289602-501571097-0,00.html

  But should the IETF be fighting this fight? Does the IETF send someone
  to France in hopes of convincing politicians not to do this? Do we have
  the most convincing tongues? The strength of the IETF is in technology.

  Right now we don't even have enough resources to go back and update
  RFCs with augmented notes stating how popular implementations differ
  from spec.

  BTW: I'm not intending to pick on Mr. Bellovin.

Neophytos Iacovou                                    University of Minnesota
Academic & Distributed Computing Services            100 Union St. SE
email: iacovou(_at_)boombox(_dot_)micro(_dot_)umn(_dot_)edu
Minneapolis, MN 55455 USA