RE: Should IETF do more to fight computer crime?

2000-05-23 14:30:02

On Tue, 23 May 2000 18:27:41 -0000, "Dawson, Peter D"
<Dawson(_dot_)Peter(_at_)emeryworld(_dot_)com>  said:
True, but only the origin of packets are determined. What is
needed is
a code of ethics between ISPs , to share information.
i.e once a packet leaves isp1 cloud and travels across isp2 cloud,
very rarely would isp1 be willing to disclose to isp2,...
which (user) is leased that specific dynamic ip address.

Note that many providers may be legally bound to not give any more
information than "Yeah, that's one of our IP addresses".  I know we
have a lot of issues regarding privacy laws due to the fact that we're
an agency of the Commonwealth of Virginia.  If we find that one of our
students has been naughty, about all we can say to people outside is
that we're aware of it and that action is being taken as per
our procedures.
--

lets say a non-student was naughty and was attacking the vt.edu network...
would you feel satisfied with the answer.. "we're aware of it and that