Re: New OBAST mailing list

2000-06-01 05:40:01
Dear all:

After a few comments to correct my error I realize I was
a bit brief in my announcement on OBAST. Here is a description
from one of the primary contributors 'Phil Neumiller' that I
have stolen from one of his slide he recently presented...

What is obast?

o Obast = Open Base Station Transport

o OBAST is an IETF 48 Birds of a Feather (BOF) proposal.

o GOAL= Simple, open, standardized, IP backhaul protocol
  for bearer and signaling to/from cellular base stations
  AND WLAN access points

o Obast emphasizes supporting seamless mobility (nomadicity) using
  existing protocols whenever possible.

o Obast is subject to change and extension. We want it to be
  SIMPLE but smart and flexible too.

o Promote the IP everywhere concept in all wireless devices
  large and small.

o Terminate radio control at the base station or access point.

o Promote methods for achieving seamless IP mobility across diverse
radio
  access technologies.

o Synthesize work of others, i.e. IETF has lots of work that is
applicable to
  "open" wireless backhaul.

o Don't re-invent AAA, QOS methods, or mobility protocols.

< there is more...but I think I will stop my transcribing here >
< Phils presentation will be available on-line soon... please join
  the obast-list if any of the above interests you>

Thank you

Randall Stewart wrote:

Dear all:

A mailing list has been formed to discuss a
Open Base Station Protocol (OBAST). This
mailing list is a pre-cursor to a possible upcoming
BOF. If you are interested in this discussion
please join the list by subscribing as follows:

Send the following command in email to:

  "majordomo(_at_)cig(_dot_)mot(_dot_)com":

and in the body of your message

 subscribe obast-list

or

 subscribe obast-list myemail(_at_)address

other commands understood by majordomo are:

who obast-list
info obast-list
index obast-list
get obast-day-number-from-index

Note: You must be a member of the list to run the
      above commands

Thanks

--
Randall R. Stewart