Re: Do we have a formal way to send a one-line 'email' which is it's own subject? <eom>

2000-06-16 12:30:01
On Fri, 16 Jun 2000 11:56:57 PDT, Dave Miller
<dsmiller(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com>  said:
not chat :)

Umm.. I don't see anything in the RFC822 syntax that prohibits a null
message body.  On most Unix systems,

/bin/mailx -s "Your One liner here" user(_at_)wherever(_dot_)com < /dev/null

does what you want (modulo a "Null message body, hope thats ok") warning.

From your message headers, it appears that you're using Microsoft Outlook.
Is it prohibiting sending a null body?  If so, that's a Microsoft issue,
as null messages are, as far as I can tell, legal.

(Well... OK.. the Protocol Police will note that you actually need a number
of CR/LF pairs to properly end the RFC822 headers.  I suspect the minimal
termination to the SMTP DATA is:

<last RFC822 header> CR LF CR LF . CR LF

Although Sendmail seems to allow just one CR/LF pair before the SMTP . and
not get upset, that doesn't make it legal...

--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Operating Systems Analyst