Re: WAP Is A Trap -- Reject WAP

2000-06-21 22:50:02
Mohsen;

  Masataka> WAP and IP over NAT are equally bad.

We have two sets of problems and layering helps here.

At layer 3, we need to make things end-to-end.

At layer 7, the WAP approach is simply the wrong approach.

I'm operating on all the  layers.

We need competition in the efficient appliction protocols
space.

As TCP/UDP port space is, so far without NAT, large enough, we don't
have any real problems.

As you pointed out more than a month ago:

   Masataka> To make the competition fair, the important questions are:

  Masataka>   Is it fair if providers using iMODE or WAP are advertised
  Masataka>   to be ISPs?

  Masataka>   Is it fair if providers using NAT are advertised to be ISPs?

  Masataka> My answer to both questions is

  Masataka>   No, while they may be Internet Service Access Providers and
  Masataka>   NAT users may be IP Service Providers, they don't provide
  Masataka>   Internet service and are no ISPs.

Which in my thinking is equivalent of saying that WAP is at best an
Internet gateway model. Which is consistent to my position in The WAP
Trap paper ...

Thank you.

                                                Masataka Ohta