Re: Seeking Open Mobile Messaging Protocols -- Efficient E-Mail

2000-06-26 06:20:02
From: Mohsen BANAN-Public
<public(_at_)mohsen(_dot_)banan(_dot_)1(_dot_)byname(_dot_)net>

Existing SMTP/IMAP/TCP technology is not well suited for
mobile and wireless environments where bandwidth and
capacity are always limited and precious.

More efficient protocols are needed to address the new
reality of mobile and wireless networks. I am seeking
open protocols which are better suited to address the
requirements of mobile and wireless networks.

we are in agreement so far.  however I would say that the new
protocols need to operate effectively not only in a
mobile/wireless network, but also in a wired network, or in
a mixed network that consists of both wireless and wired links.

The key functional requirements for the protocols that
I am seeking are:

 -  Provide for the submission and delivery of short
    (4 kilobytes or less) Internet e-mail messages
    with the same level of functionality (or higher)
    that the existing SMTP protocols provide.

 -  Provide the same (or better) level of reliability
    and security that the existing SMTP protocols provide.

 -  Make reasonable trade-offs between specification complexity,
    implementation complexity, extendibility, scalability and efficiency.

 -  Provide the required efficiency characteristics. These include:
    minimizing the number of transmissions, minimizing the number of
    bytes transmitted, minimizing the latency of message
    submission and delivery.

let me suggest a few additional requirements:

- high degree of functional compatibility with existing mail protocols
  (SMTP/MIME/POP/IMAP) so that there is not a lot of information
  lost when mail is gatewayed between the two environments; also
  so that I18N is supported in a way compatible with existing standards.

- congestion avoidance that competes fairly with TCP

- ability to resist denial-of-service attacks that attempt to consume
  server connection/session state (similar to SYN flooding attacks)

Keith