Re: Bluetooth

2000-06-29 09:00:03

Dan Kohn wrote:

I will bite regarding one issue near and dear to IETF hearts -- which is the
seeming need to buy yet another 802.11 card for each IETF meeting.  And yes,
I am actually suggesting an approach that would require one more purchase:

I was at Bluetooth Congress in Europe this month (which sounds better than
saying the Bluetooth Congress in Monte Carlo), and Bluetooth products are
definitely gathering momentum.
This would then leave the 2.4 GHz band for Bluetooth, and allow both
Bluetooth and 802.11 to be simultaneously active from the same laptop.  I
think most LANs will be wireless in a couple years simply for the
convenience of avoiding cabling (even for desktop computers), and that
people will want to sync up with their Palm Pilots and their cellphones

Palm syncs with laptops fine over IR now.

Joe