RE: Is WAP mobile Internet??

2000-07-05 05:30:04
Good Point & I will tap into Japan Wireless infra-structure!

-----Original Message-----
From: Renfield Kuroda [mailto:Renfield(_dot_)Kuroda(_at_)msdw(_dot_)com]
Sent: Friday, June 30, 2000 9:07 PM
To: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: Is WAP mobile Internet??

I don't think WAP Mobile Internet any more than TCP/IP is Internet.
The Mobile Internet is data/communication devices you carry around with you.

Here in Japan we have 8 million non-WAP mobile internet users, plus another
2
million WAP users, and the numbers are exploding.

But, and I know this may be the wrong mailing list for this comment, the
point is a
non-technical one. Users don't care if it's WAP/WML, or cHTML or MML or text
SMS, on
a cdmaONE network, PDC-P, or what.

Technically, I think many agree that WAP and its various technical standards
are
ill-conceived and poorly executed, but that doesn't mean the potential of
the Mobile
Internet isn't there. I personally think if WAP migrated to xHTML and
operators
looked at the successes here in Japan, than the next generation of WAP
phones (or
whatever you call them) really can and will be Mobile Internet.

Regards,

r e n

Lars-Erik Jonsson wrote:

Hi Folks!!

I would like to hear your opinions about how WAP people often say that WAP
is
"mobile Internet". In my opinion, WAP is NOT mobile Internet at all. The
Internet is built on the e2e principle and based on the Internet
Protocols,
which WAP is not. I can not tell people that they should not use WAP (even
if I
have my opinions about WAP). If they believe in WAP that is their problem,
but
when they try to use the words WAP and Internet in the same sentence I
think it
is time to clarify a few things. I accept that WAP is there, but be honest
about
what it is.

Cheers!
/Lars-Erik (expressing my PERSONAL opinions)

--
ascii: r e n f i e l d
octal: \162 \145 \156 \146 \151 \145 \154 \144