Re: WAP - What A Problem...

2000-07-05 06:30:02
I concur with you on the point of land optics
however the average person requires remote and
mobile access to their corporate networks,
intra-nets, extra-nets, and value-added-networks.

The average person doesn't use any of these networks, and so does not
require access to them.  There are still too many people (_most_ people, in
fact) who do not have an e-mail address.

Therefore one could conclude that wireless access will
have a main space within future technologies.

Some sort of wireless access to the Internet will surely have a place in the
future.  Beyond that, I wouldn't make any specific predictions about what
form it might take.

In addition to this point I would like to also
state WAP is the front runner in regards to linking
wireless apps to the Global Internet and her sub-nets.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Global Internet," since I'm not aware of any
other kind of Internet.

Also, in English, inanimate objects and concepts take the neuter gender, not
the female gender, so the Internet is "it," not "she."

Also, I would like to re-reference you to
understanding Teledesic's network model.

Satellites in low orbit providing two-way communication with a vast number
of ground stations, right?  What else is there to it?

This is where you can clearly see the wireless model
@ work.

Has this wireless network actually been implemented?  Last I heard of
anything coming close was Iridium, and we know what happened to that.

In closing, I would ask that you stay aware of WAP
for this is not a govt technology, it was formulated
from people like you, me, & the members of IETF!

I'm as aware of it as I was of MiniDiscs and Betamax.  When and if it moves
to the mainstream (something I do not really expect at this point), I'll
consider it in greater detail.

One thing I'd like to know is:  Is WAP a response to user demands for
wireless Net access from credit-card-sized terminals, or is WAP something
that looked like it would be cool to implement that the inventors and their
marketroids are now trying to sell to others?

And it will play a major role in all of our lives
from a protocol stand point.

Just like Picturephone service and DIVX.

Video to Video, Voice to Text, Broadcast to IP,
Data to Voice = WAP(Display)

I don't see the two killer apps here--e-mail and the Web--unless they are
disguised in terminology somewhere in there.  I'm not even convinced of the
practicality of those, however, on terminals that are ergonomically
unsuitable to either.