Re: wireless services

2000-07-07 12:40:02
Aditya,

Thank you for your Internet message:

... why are you segregating these voice features with web/email/WAP?

I do not understand that question.  My problem stems from the use of
the verb "segregating" modified by "with" -- those two do not work
well together.

... using WAP, we can easily incorporate these features in today's
cellular phone....

Great.  Please explain how to use WAP for asynchronous audio messaging.
I had not been told that the WAP forum had incorporated that yet.  I
predicted it would take them at least three months longer.  In terms
of open standards, Dave Raggett designed INPUT TYPE=AUDIO in HTML+
forms in 1993.  I wonder what the WML form bytecodes for that are, or
if they have even been designed within the confines of the WML forum.

... in WAP we have some thing called the WTAI ( Wireless Telephony
Application Interface ) that provides services like auto call back,
voice mail etc to mobile handset via concept of WTA Server.

Where is WTAI documented?

If WTAI is proprietary, closed, and obscure, as it has been, it will
have limited market share when compared to open, free, and
well-documented standards.  Good asynch voice in a portable is just
as good as quality email on the desktop, and the quality of voice
browsers will get up there, too.  Likewise, IP will stay as popular
for its API as it already is, and packet switches with popular
routing protocols will become typical options for cellular switch
installations.  Those APIs that allow programs to perform operations
unpopular with the hardware owners will tend to be discouraged.

Similarly, until voicemail replies are as easy as email replies, the
full benefits of asyncrhonous voice messaging are unlikely to be
realized.  I feel it is very likely that the more open a standard is,
the easier it is to reply to a message sent using that standard.

Many of us have a duty to work towards these optimum conditions.
There are plenty of ways to make incremental improvements in the
right direction.  The solutions that appear to have the strongest
monitary potential in the short term are not as worthwhile as
those that clearly do have greater strength in the long term.

Cheers,
James
--
http://www.bovik.org.