Re: Defining "Internet" (or "internet")

2000-07-07 10:20:04

TSIGARIDAS PANAGIOTIS wrote:

I found this definition in the  INTEROP Book of Carl Malamud.

The Internet (note the uppercase "I') is a network infrastructure that
supports reasearch, engineering, education, and commercial services.
The word internet (with a lowercase "i") refers to any interconnected
set of substrates (provided, of course, they are running the
internetwork protocol IP)

internet is just a truncation of internetwork, but it has come to mean
'runs IP' (and a few others, e.g., ICMP).

Internet = usually defined as a transitive closure, as in
        'speaks IP and is connected to another site already on the Internet'

        where the base-case is usually defined as the NSF-funded backbone
pre-1988

There are certainly internets that support the services above, but are
not connected to the "Cap-I Internet".

Joe