RE: Defining "Internet" (or "internet")

2000-07-06 23:40:02
I found this definition in the  INTEROP Book of Carl Malamud.

The Internet (note the uppercase "I') is a network infrastructure that
supports reasearch, engineering, education, and commercial services. The
word internet (with a lowercase "i") refers to any interconnected set of
substrates (provided, of course, they are running the  internetwork protocol
IP)

Panagiotis Tsigaridas

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Brunner [mailto:brunner(_at_)world(_dot_)std(_dot_)com]
Sent: Thursday, July 06, 2000 8:30 PM
To: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Defining "Internet" (or "internet")

The Swedish legal definition (Patrik provided the pointer) may not be the
only one which attempts to define what "Internet" is, fixed or broken, er,
"mobile".

Anyone else with a normative legal reference, your favorite jurisdiction or
someone else's, please drop me a line. I'll summarize to the list.

Eric