Re: Defining "Internet" (or "internet")

2000-07-09 18:30:03
Craig,

From RFC 1287:

"If I could PING you, and you could PING me, then we were both on the Internet, and a satisfying working definition of the Internet could be constructed as a roughly transitive closure of IP-speaking systems. This model of the Internet was simple, uniform, and - perhaps most important - testable. The IP-connectivity model clearly distinguished systems that were "on the Internet" from those that were not."

In the same RFC, we proposed a different answer to your "what *IS* the Internet?" question, based not on IP (network address) connectivity but on the shared domain name space managed by DNS - "the Internet" consists of entities nameable within the DNS, however they may be interconnected by underlying networks.

- Lyman

At 1:43 AM -0400 7/8/00, Craig Simon wrote:
Eric Brunner wrote:
 > Anyone else with a normative legal reference, your favorite

I saw this in someone's sig line.

But what *IS* the internet?

It's the largest equivalence class in the reflexive transitive symmetric
closure of the relationship "can be reached by an IP packet from".
--Seth Breidbart

cls

-
This message was passed through ietf+censored(_at_)alvestrand(_dot_)no, which
is a sublist of ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org(_dot_) Not all messages are passed.
Decisions on what to pass are made solely by Harald Alvestrand.