Any RFCs describing mailing list subscription practice?

2000-07-09 17:30:02
Do we have any RFCs (or even I-Ds) that describe the preferred '3-way handshake' method for validating a request to subscribe to a mailing list - i.e., to first send back - to the requester's source email address - a "please confirm your subscription" response message (preferably containing a random token), and then add the address to the mailing list *only if* the user responds to this second message?

I am constantly fighting with clueless (or lazy, or opportunistic) mailing list operators who insist on adding bogus email addresses - containing my domain name - to their mailing lists, without first confirming their validity. It would be nice if there were an IETF document that I could point them at.

        Ross.