Re: Email Privacy eating software

2000-07-14 03:10:02
I don't understand why the FBI feels that it needs to have a top-secret
black box attached to the ISP's network.  Why not just have the ISP provide
a copy of all e-mail to or from the specified mailbox?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lillian Komlossy" <Lillian(_at_)dmnews(_dot_)com>
To: <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2000 21:31
Subject: Email Privacy eating software

The following articles describe an email reading software Big Bro is
apparently already using. I think this is more than appropriate to start a
discussion about.

While it can be a powerful tool in the right hands, my three concerns
about
this are:
1. Privacy of course - just the same way you don't want somebody
reading your snail mail - for all intents and purposes email is not
different.
2. Who oversees the agents in terms of - who are they going to go
after - bad guys, or maybe political opponents?
3. How long before the software will collect 'other' information as
well - and sell -ah pardon me: "make it available" to "valuable third
party
companies" ?

Make up your own mind, here are the links:
http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2601502,00.html
and
http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2601960,00.html

Lillian Komlossy || Site Manager || http://www.dmnews.com ||