AOL's view of the Net versus the rest

2000-07-17 14:40:04
Greg Skinner writes:

The impression I have gotten from people who regularly
use AOL is that they are generally satisfied with the
nature of the service (as opposed to the quality of the
service).

It's like radio:  Some people are content to tune in to their favorite FM
station and listen to the Top 40 or "easy listening" music; whereas others
prefer to get ham radio licenses and explore the medium to its fullest.
People who want "easy listening" on the Internet subscribe to AOL; people
who want "ham Internet" subscribe to smaller ISPs that specialize in
providing nothing but fast, "raw" connections to the mighty Net for people
who know what they want.

As long as there are still ways to get the "raw" connections that I prefer,
I don't really care if most people are satisfied with AOL and its
clones--that's their choice.