Re: Email Privacy eating software

2000-07-18 04:00:02

In message <008601bff09b$8b32e9b0$0a00000a(_at_)contactdish>, Anthony Atkielski
type
d:
Well been British, we are to polite and would not like to make a fuss. :)

Yeah, the ones who liked to make a fuss went off and started their own
democracies centuries ago.

So the British really don't mind having their privacy compromised, then?  I
hope Americans show a bit more concern, before it's too late.

next summer's IETF meeting is tentatively scheduled for London, England
http://www.ietf.org/meetings/0mtg-sites.txt

if you turn up at customs with a laptop, you may be asked to show any
and all files on it to the nice chaps there. if someone has sent you
crypted email (say using your public key) you may be obliged to
connect the lapto pto the public net and  access your other key to
decrypt the mail for the nice chaps in customs to priove that it is
not to do with pornography or terrorism - whereeve yo uare from, you
will have no recourse to say "no" or "this is commercial in
confidence" or "my company will fire me if i let this go to anyone or
send it over the net to decrypt at my home site etc etc"

the wavelan in the meeting site may be subject to wiretap...etc etc

the ietf community may wish to send a message by reconsidering having
a meeting in the UK....until the law here is made more rational.

 cheers

   jon